The Medway Hospital Charity
The Medway Hospital Charity has been by humbled by the generosity of people in Medway and Swale for raising money to support the NHS during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Since April 2020, over £165,000 in donations and more than £85,000 in gifts, from grateful members of the public, have been used to support staff and patients.
Of the £165,000 received, an incredible £116,500 has been granted to the hospital charity by NHS Charities Together. Its COVID-19 Urgent Appeal galvanised fundraisers across the UK. You may recognise Captain Sir Tom Moore as its most high-profile fundraiser! The NHS Charities Together grants have been, and will continue to be used, to support staff, patients and vulnerable groups.
The Charity has used the remainder of the NHS Charities Together grant money plus some of the money raised by our wonderful community to fund:
- £7,000 of food. Many of you will have received a care pack during the pandemic. You will have either collected it from the fundraising team or they will have delivered it to you.
- The recent cream tea, to commemorate COVID-19, was funded by the Charity, as werr the Commemorative COVID-19 badges and candles for the International Year of the Nurse and the Midwife.
- Tablets, portable landline phones and mini whiteboards were purchased so that patients could communicate with their families and with staff.
- Our community’s donations paid for beautiful dandelion remembrance plaques. These were sent by our End of Life Care team to families who lost loved ones during the pandemic, and could not be with them when they died.
- Training was also at the forefront of our mind to enable staff to prepare for a second wave. More than £5,000 was spent on simulation equipment, including a specific COVID-19 lung simulator.
- We spent almost £900 on patient packs and £700 on deodorants, face creams and shower gels for frontline staff.
- Thanks to the generous donations, the Charity has been able to kit out the Staff Wellbeing Hub in the Post Graduate Centre and has committed to funding refreshments until the end of the year.
- We have just spent almost £7,000 on 10 new picnic benches. We were asked by staff for more outdoor seating areas to support emotional wellbeing and we were happy to oblige. Our wonderful Estates team will be distributing them across the hospital site.
- We are also working on an exciting project - an outdoor staff courtyard at the bottom of the stairs in Brown Zone. We appreciate that staff want to unwind away from the Wards and we are working with Medway Sunlight Rotary Club to make this happen.
Read our latest charity newsletter
About our charity
The Medway Hospital Charity raises money to improve our patients’ experience by funding projects and equipment that fall outside of the NHS budget.
In 2019/20 your generous donations have enabled the Charity to create The Forget Me Not palliative care room in Lawrence Ward, support the Butterfly (Dementia Therapy Garden) and buy state-of-the-art simulation equipment for our Orthopedic department. We have also supported dozens of smaller projects that are much appreciated by both patients and staff.
The Charity is proud to support the work of Medway NHS Foundation Trust and is committed to its Better, Best, Brilliant improvement programme.
Over the past year, the hospital has gone from strength to strength and your donations will help us ensure our services are the very best they can be for our patients, relatives and staff.
Your support, no matter how big or small, plays a vital part in supporting the hospital's amazing work. You can donate through the ‘Just Giving’ website or the 'Virgin Money Giving' website, get involved with a fundraising project or donate via text message.
This year we had two supporters running the London Marathon, a group of six cyclists taking on a 400-mile, cycle challenge and a family raising money to refurbish a relatives’ room.
Fundraising is a fantastic and rewarding way to support our patients, wards and departments.
Run a marathon, shave your head, hold a coffee morning, quiz night race night, get a team together for a Dragonboat race, organise a ball or raffle. Whatever you’d like to do, we’ll be there to help you make your event the best it can be.
If you know what you want to do, get in touch and tell us about it. Call 01634 825398 or email email@example.com and we’ll have you fundraising in no time.