Making a complaint

Medway NHS Foundation Trust aims to provide the highest standard of care and treatment for all patients who use our services. We do however recognise that, despite that aim, there may be occasions when a service does not live up to your expectations. When this happens it is the patient’s right to complain or to have someone else do so on their behalf.
As a Trust we welcome feedback if we could have done better. We look upon complaints as a way of improving our future care and as a way of putting things right for others. We are also committed to treating patients impartially and without discrimination or prejudice.
The Trust has a complaints policy which follows the processes contained within the Local Authority Social Services and National Health Service Complaints (England) Regulations 2009.

When and how to make a formal complaint

It is best to make your complaint as soon as possible as this will help us to investigate your concerns more thoroughly. In any event you should make your complaint within twelve months of the incident or treatment you are complaining about.

You can contact the Complaints Team by email on by telephone on 01634 825216 or in writing to:

Complaints Department
Medway Maritime Hospital
Windmill Road

What to include when making a formal complaint

When making your complaint it would be helpful if you could include the following details:
  • The patient’s name and address and contact number
  • The patient’s date of birth
  • The complainants contact details
  • What happened
  • When it happened
  • Where it happened
If a family member wishes to complain on behalf of a relative, the patient’s written consent will be required before we can reply with medical details in order to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998. It also helps us to respond more quickly if one person represents the whole family. If a patient is deceased we will require formal evidence to share the results of our complaint investigation and the complaints team will advise what information is required.

Getting help with your complaint

We will offer any support we can to enable people to understand and use the complaints procedure effectively. This may involve providing information on these procedures in other formats and languages, or providing an interpreter if required. We will also advise people where and how they can access advice and advocacy services. For further information please contact the complaints office.
If you are unable to complain for yourself, you may have someone suitable - for example a relative or friend - to act on your behalf. This person must be able to respect your confidentiality.
If you would like independent help in making your complaint you can contact the Libra Partnership. They are an independent organisation established to support, empower and advocate for patients making complaints about their care and treatment and they provide assistance free of charge. They can be contacted at the following address:    

Libra Partnership
Invicta Park
Sandpit Road
Dartford, Kent



Telephone Number: 01622 200806