The orthotic service “home of clinical innovation” has been nationally and internationally recognised for its excellent reputation in delivering exceptional healthcare for acute and chronic conditions that require the use of orthotics (body worn surgical appliances/medical devices), these can either assist in the mobilisation or immobilistaion of the bodily function. The Medway orthotic service is the first in the UK to be a Centre of excellence for the provision of orthotics.
Since 2014 the orthotic service has been supporting NHS England in developing care pathway’s to improve orthotics services throughout England. We have also been hugely involved in ensuring the delivery of equality standards for black minority and ethnic groups who require wigs and fabric supports that mirror hair types and skin tones. In 2016 the service was commended by the CQC as providing outstanding practice.
Our orthotic service has the lowest known wait times in the UK, this combined with our team of dedicated staff, we are able to deliver a desired and responsive service to our patients. We work closely with other allied healthcare professionals to ensure that our patients receive the right treatment at the right time first time. We now provide a physical discharge package of care which encompasses the use of prevention based products that ensures us that our frail and vulnerable inpatients have a safe discharge back home.
We support commissioned service providers across Kent and Medway to deliver orthotic and assisted living care in the community. These provisions are essential to ensure we provide timely and effective care to our patients.
We offer a vast range of treatments for in/out patients and community musculoskeletal patients. Some of these treatments can include the use of assisted living products that enables our patients to maintain independent living with dignity, enhanced recovery and rehabilitation and improvements to their activities of daily living.
Patients throughout the South East of England can be assured of receiving a world class service from the Medway orthotic department.
Prescription treatments available
- Orthopedic footwear
- Iron work products, calipers, KAFO’s BKI’s
- Podiatry – insoles and functional orthotics including diabetic walker boots and bracing
- Spinal bracing including collars, lumber supports and maternity belts
- Oedema garments and compression hosiery
- Hand therapy products
- Functional bracing for arms, hips, knees and ankles
- Specialised sleeve orthosis for function and cosmetic purposes
- Falls prevention
- Assisted living products such as hydration, nutrition and mobility aids
- Pelvic health
- Wigs and head wear
- General Orthotics
- Lower Limb
- Specialised Sleeve Orthosis
- Internal referrals from a consultant will entail the provision of one treatment per condition within one six month period for a patient new to the orthotic service. Patients cannot be referred to the orthotic service whilst attending the hospital as a follow-up patient. If a patient requires ongoing or lifelong care provided by the orthotic service, the patient will be required to obtain an ongoing referral from their General Practitioner.
- Since 2013 General Practitioners can refer patients directly to the orthotic service for assessment and treatments. Referrals are also accepted from community musculoskeletal services (physiotherapist, occupational therapist, podiatrist and community nursing/midwifery) on behalf of the patients General Practitioner.
Purple Zone, Level 2
Enquiries and appointments: 01634 830000 ext. 3320