COVID-19: Information about our maternity service
- Click here to read an update on the COVID-19 Virus Infection and Pregnancy.
Our maternity service is one of the largest in Kent, delivering around 5,000 babies a year. This comprises of obstetric led care on the Delivery Suite and midwife-led care on The Birth Place, as well as actively supporting home birth for women with uncomplicated pregnancies. Women and their partners giving birth at our Trust are offered personalised, support to help them to have the best possible experience of pregnancy, delivery and recovery period. Maternity is available by using our self-referral form in this section.
Our current visiting guidelines
We believe it is very important that women using our services are able to access the emotional care and support they need from their families and those closest to them as part of their birth experience. To ensure that women using our services can access this support, and at the same time reduce the risk to them, their partners and visitors and our staff from COVID-19, we have the following processes in place for birth partners and visitors to our maternity services. The following visiting restrictions are in place from Monday 8 August 2022:
- Induction of labour and early labour care - One support partner may be present. Your partner can stay with you during the latent/early phase of labour between 8am and 8pm if you are admitted to any of our wards.
- Two Birth partners throughout labour and birth – Your support people can stay with you in a birthing room for labour care either on Delivery Suite or The Birth Place. Your birth partners may stay after the birth until transfer to the postnatal ward, usually 2-3 hours after birth. If this is within visiting hours they may remain until end of visiting (8 am and 8 pm).
- Attending hospital for labour assessment and support - We are happy to support ONE partner when you attend for assessment of labour.
- Elective caesarean section - One birth partner may attend with you and accompany you to theatre. When transferred to the ward two visitors are allowed to be with you.
- Pearl and Kent ward visiting – Two visitors may attend between 8am and 8pm. Siblings are welcome to visit with their responsible adult, from 2pm to 6pm.
- All Ultrasound Scanning Appointments - You may be accompanied by ONE support person
- Hospital Antenatal Clinic Appointments - You may be accompanied by ONE support person of your choosing
- Maternity Care Unit (MCU) and Delivery Suite Triage - You may be accompanied by ONE support person of your choosing
- Community Antenatal and Postnatal Appointments - You may be accompanied by TWO support person of your choosing
We are unable to support partners staying overnight in the ward areas.